Friday, August 22, 2008

How do you watch the Olympics?

So guess what we've been watching on TV? You guessed it - the Olympics. How about you?

We were just watching an American Men's Volleyball game and as they won, I watched a woman in the crowd cheering, just shocked with happiness. She was jumping, holding her hand over her mouth, thrilled. But she looked surprised, as if she couldn't believe the great news.

Which made me wonder - Is she really surprised? She's obviously a fan of the American Team. Did she think they'd lose?

And so on and so on. I obviously think way too much about things that probably don't matter.

So then I started thinking, What's my attitude when I watch the Olympics, or any sport, for that matter? Here's what I realized. When I watch a sporting event or contest where I'm rooting for a specific person or team, I love it when they're winning but fear that they'll lose.

I don't even know what "rooting for" a team means, because what I do is hope and hope and hope and hope. And worry and worry and worry and worry. And hope nothing bad happens.

Don't you think that's weird?

What's going through your mind when you watch sports? I'm curious.

No comments: