Tuesday, April 29, 2008

In which she eats humble pie

I'm having a motherhood meltdown, y'all.

And I'm about to whine and cry like a big fat baby, so feel free to bail right now if you need to.

I can't presently string two sentences together to make sense, so I'm just fixin' to start typing, and if you can make sense of it, great. If you can't, well then Welcome To My World.

I'm about to be done in by a four-year-old angel, people.
She's gorgeous.
She's friendly.
Her smile lights up the room.
She gets cranky when she's tired.
But she hates naps.
And she's a light sleeper.
She plays in bed for hours every night.
It's getting worse as she gets older.
She used to be a morning person.
But the fatigue is changing her.
And also changing me.

Cause see, Scooter isn't a bad girl.
But she has an attention span of about 15 seconds.
So if I give her a direction, she obeys.
For 15 seconds.
Then all bets are off.
I'm so tired of correcting and redirecting half the day.
I feel like the meanest old mother.
But the alternative is being the mother with the crazy, disobedient kid.

And here's where I eat the humble pie.
I may have seemed smug about my sweet, partially obedient children.
I may have believed that if I did it right, my girls would obey me.
For longer than 15 seconds.
But this one doesn't.
And I really don't know what to do next.

Oh, and p.s., I just twisted my ankle in the dadgum bathroom because I left clothes laying in the floor.
My fault.
Still hurts.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Ohhh, Lori, ((hugs)) to you! I'm glad you left the post up. Some days are just HARD. I think God uses them to remind us how much we need Him. At least, that's what I think He's been doing in my life lately!!

I hope your ankle is feeling better.

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

You mean it doesn't get better...that her sheer independence only gets...worse? Crap, I'm in for it then...might as well send me to the nut house now...I feel for your bitter/sweet emotions...I'm right there with you, with my girl of 2, turning 3 in June!

I "surfed" over to your blog from BLOGHer Ads! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

When it rains it pours doesn't it? :-) Hang in there Mommy. There's too much paperwork involved if you kill her now. Hope everyone gets some sleep soon and your ankle feels better.

Redneck Diva said...

Okay when you and I chatted the other night you briefly mentioned staying home with Le Scoot, but I'm such a horrible friend who was so caught up in her brand! new! puppy! that I didn't ask how YOU were. Just kick me in the shin.

I have one who can't stay on task either. And apparently her entire class tends to just wig the heck out on a fairly regular basis. So I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it was something in the water the year they were all born.

We don't battle the bedtime thing, but I can't tell you how many times I've sent her to clean her room, empty a trashcan, etc. only to find her somewhere else staring at a spiderweb, singing happily while covered in plastic bracelets and rings and "What, Mom? Oh you wanted me to clean my room NOW? Oops..."

Yeah. I'm with ya, sister. Prayers for you today.

Jennifer said...

Hey - it's your blog and you can whine if you want to!!!

Sorry I don't have any words of wisdom, but I'm sorry you are feeling stressed. If I were there, I'd give you a big ol' hug! So, here's a cyber hug instead. {{{{{HUG}}}}}

Hope your ankle is better!