Thursday, August 30, 2007

Mrs. FSOT

Last year, sitting in the First Grade line every day to pick up Pooh, I wondered which First Grade teacher would be the best fit for Tinkerbell. There are 5 or 6 teachers in 1st, and out of those, I knew that there were 2 that we didn't want. The first was Pooh's teacher. She was great for Pooh, but I didn't think she would be a good match for Tink. The second teacher on my No List was an older lady who just seemed cranky. My girls already have a cranky Mommy; they don't need a cranky teacher, too.

So when we showed up for Meet The Teacher last week, guess whose class Tinker was assigned to. That's right, Mrs. Cranky Older Teacher. I was disappointed, but hoped I was wrong about her.

We Met The Teacher, and Mrs. COT was very friendly. I immediately volunteered to help out with anything she needed, because I've been told and firmly agree that sucking up gets you in good with the teachers.

As I mentioned, Tink didn't do so well on the first day of school. She was scared, and she cried when it was time for me to leave. Mrs. COT swooped right in and comforted my baby, taking her under her wing. I was encouraged.

The second day of school, at pick-up time, Mrs. COT came over to my car and said, "Yeah, she's a talker."

Tell me about it, sister.

Then she leaned in really close and whispered in my ear, "I don't really care. As long as they don't all get loud, she doesn't bother me at all." I told her that however she wanted to handle it in the classroom, we'd reinforce at home. Her exact words were, "Yeah, nothing's gonna work. Eventually, when she gets older, she'll figure out when to shut up."

I think I'm in love.

See, sometimes my Tink can rub people the wrong way. She can be clingy, she can be needy, or she can also be a diva sometimes. And did I mention SHE LIKES TO TALK? In Pre-K there was a teacher's aide who HATED her because of this. The woman once gave Tink a frowny face in her folder because Tink HAD THE AUDACITY TO ASK IF SHE WAS GONNA GET A SMILEY. Changed that smiley to a frown. And ya'll, that Aide bowed up on me because I asked her to clarify what it was that Tink did wrong. Yeah, I called the principal on that crap.

Oops, did I go off there for a minute? Sorry, where was I? Oh, so I was concerned that Mrs. COT would have a problem with Tink and her needy/diva/yappy self. And guess what? I don't think she does! I think she may be our next favorite teacher! Of course, it's the fourth day of school and things could turn around tomorrow, but I DON'T THINK SO! I THINK WE'VE GOT A WINNER! Can you tell I'm happy? Cause I am.

And in case you're not convinced, let me tell you what Tink said about Mrs. COT yesterday.

"Weeelllll, she does yell sometimes, but if we weren't being so noisy, she wouldn't have to yell. And sometime when we're being loud, she says that we're driving her crazy." Giggle, giggle. "And sometimes if we're not lining up right, or not listening, she says we're getting on her last nerve." Giggle, giggle.

She is now officially Mrs. Funny, Sarcastic Older Teacher. Mrs. FSOT for short.

4 comments:

Jeana said...

"My girls already have a cranky Mommy; they don't need a cranky teacher, too." Hah! Too funny.

Anonymous said...

I learned that my kids would take whatever attitude I had about the new teacher, and go with it. Unfortunately, one year, my son got gripy negative teacher, and I talked about how much I didn't like her in front of my son, and he didn't like her the entire year. I tried harder after that to be positive in front of the kids. Hope your experience lasts!

Beth said...

I'm so happy that her teacher seems to be working out so far! I hope it last all year round!

And we are all a little needy, chatty and diva-like. Don't you think? My husband would totally agree.

ThriftyMommy said...

My friend was worried about which teacher her son would get last year b/c the year before he had a very unreasonable teacher. My friend went on and on about it and finally I told her just to put it in God's hands and he would get the teacher that he needed. You know, even with the teacher that my friend didn't like, she didn't talk badly about the teacher in front of her child or to other parents and her son seemed to have a good year. Kids can take a lot more than we think and they usually end up loving those strict and cranky hard to get along with teachers. I'm glad that your daughter got a teacher that is going to understand her.

BTW, as I was reading your post, my daughter walked by and thought the pics were of herself. lol She wears glasses too and his blonde hair.