Tuesday, July 17, 2007

WFMW - Easy Car Freshener

Hey, my internet peeps! Time for another Works-For-Me Wednesday!

Please excuse my use of the word "peeps." I just can't get it out of my head, and I'm hoping that if I use it a really lot, then it will melt or fade or whatever.

So. Take 3 lovely darling girls, one Big Daddy, and a mom who is a Crohn's Disease sufferer (which can sometimes make one a bit...windy), and sometimes my beloved Chevy Uplander can get a bit...well, stank. It's just stank sometimes. And I don't know if it's because there has been too much tootage in the car, or maybe a food product got left in the back, but at times, it has got to be that something crawled up in there and died.

A few weeks ago, we were about to go on a super-long road trip, and I did not want to get into that van smelling that funk, especially in the New Mexico desert, you know? So I got me a brilliant idea.

I had seen, in the deodorizing section of Target, a car air freshener. But as far as I could tell, it was just a clip that holds an old-school Glade Plug-In, but didn't plug into anything. I put my thinking cap on, and here's what I came up with. I took a Glade Plug-In, not Scented Oil or anything fancy, just the old-school gel cartridge. And I peeled off the backing, and here's the brilliant part. I threw it in a cup holder that's right by a window. That's it. Simple brilliance.

The sun hits the gel-like substance, and promotes the lovely fragrancing action. So instead of smelling like rotting food, or feet or poots, now my lovely Chevy Uplander smells like Peach Blossoms or some such. And I am very happy.

Thanks, y'all, for stopping by to check out my grand idea for this week. Hope you liked it. Now hop on over to Rocks in My Dryer for more inspiration.

5 comments:

Mrs. Jones said...

With 3 kids and 2 dogs, I think I will be trying this one! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

We always have a smell in our van too - with 3 kids, soccer cleats, dirty socks that get stuffed under the back seat b/c they were just too sweaty to keep on - there is always going to be something or someone smelling. thanks for the tip -I've heard about putting scented dryer sheets under your sheets too. Worth a try!

mistihollrah said...

I understand the smelling car thing-try teenage soccer players & their stinky socks & shoes! Not to mention bodies after a couple of games!

I use the yankee candle car deoderizers-I love the clean cotton-it smells like freshly washed laundry!

Heather said...

Great idea. Love the "tootage" line! LOL!

Marcia Francois said...

Hello there

I love this idea! Found you through a commenter on my organising blog.

Organising queen and
Take charge blogs