Saturday, June 23, 2007

Constructive...suggestion?

I stumbled across Word Wise a few months ago and immediately added it to my Google Reader subscriptions. It's billed as "Writing tips for public relations professionals – and for people everywhere," and I love correct grammar.

Now don't get me wrong; I can talk like a hick with the best of 'em, and I do it often. But I still like to know what's correct and what's not, even if I choose not to comply.

The most recent post is about the rampant misuse of "myself." It's like this guy has a mind-reading machine and knows what's driving me crazy this week.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I know exactly what you mean. I don't always do it correctly, but some things bug the you-know-what out of me! I've been trying to teach my son the correct usage of me, I and myself. I use the exact "trick" he mentioned in that post. It works every time! And don't even get me started on the way other words are used - I'd be here all day! I'm sure something I say, or the way I say it is annoying to some - but I can't be that bad. There are some sites I won't even go to anymore because the grammar drives me nuts - and others I'm considering not going back to! Ok, I'm stepping down now - lol!

Kristen said...

That blog is pretty cool. Good to know information!

What gets me is when people misuse the words you, your and you're. Drives me insane! He probably has a post about that.

Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

My newest pet peeve is heal/heel.
I first noticed it this week when the VBS songs closed captioning read,"Kick up your heals".
Later, I saw a newscrawl that read, "On the heals of $3 gas...".

It drives me nuts that people use spell check, but don't actually proof their work to look for correctly spelled, but incorrectly used words!

Mama Says

Musings of a Housewife said...

ARGH!! That one drives me BATTY.

Kelley said...

I have a degree in English, and I love blogs like that. Thanks for sharing it.

My favorite podcast right now is Grammar Girl, at www.qdnow.com