Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Some rambling and also some roaming

So. I haven't written much at all lately, just haven't felt like it. I keep wondering how in the past, I wrote every day, and had TONS to say. No one may have wanted to read it, but so what? I wrote it. And I enjoyed it.

I've pondered and I've puttered and I've figured, and here's what I came up with. Over the past year, Big Daddy and I have encountered some GINORMOUS challenges.

We started a business. A business that we LOVE.

We were betrayed by "friends" that we considered family.

Our Pooh began dealing with a mood disorder that adversely affected our entire family.

Because of our family's experiences with Pooh's mood disorder, yet more "friends" that we considered family decided that we were unfit parents.

Yeah. Good stuff.

When you're dealing with life-changing circumstances, you want the support of your family and friends. And you know what? I'm just gonna put this out there - some of the people we counted on? Have NOT had our backs.

Devastating.

Here's the part where we get to brag on God, though.

My favorite scripture has always been Romans 8:28. And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

And let me tell you about the good that God has done for us. He has, WITHOUT A DOUBT, shown us the friends that we can count on. And you know what's cool? In the most unexpected and magical ways, God brought just the right people back around to us, people who were not in our lives a year ago.

Friends we hadn't talked to in years have offered us their wisdom, their prayers, and unwavering support.

God is good.

All the time.

What, you may ask, does all this have to do with writing or not writing? I guess just that it's hard to put this kind of sadness out there. It's one thing to write about a sad day every now and then, interspersed with the levity. I haven't wanted to be one of those people who writes about dreariness Every Single Day. Problem is? Our life has been sad Every Single Day for a few months now.

Yes, we have some GREAT days mixed in there, but the ratio has been OFF, my friends.

And also PLUS, I've been skittish about writing honestly, because I've felt vulnerable and defensive. But you know what? I'm going to try REALLY hard to stop worrying about the people who DON'T love us and just be thankful for those who DO.

And I'm gonna try to write more often, whether it's cheerful or funny or just plain old boring. Because I think it will help me get to a happier place.

So hopefully we'll be seeing each other more often.

Because my God is good.

All the time.




4 comments:

PERMANENT POSIES said...

I have your back, girl. We need to talk more often. Anytime you need me....call.
Susan Merritt

PERMANENT POSIES said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kelley said...

I've missed reading your writing. And not just because you're 29 kinds of funny. For the record, your sadness is welcome here too - the good, bad & ugly. Because that's life. I think you'll find even MORE people will relate to that kind of reality in the long run. Peace to you.

WendyDarling said...

Lori,

I am so glad to see your post today. I've missed you and wondered how y'all are. :-) I am sorry you have been through a challenging "season", but remember that it IS just a season. You are right, God is so good. He is to be glorified through it all; and now you know you have some wonderful friends you can rely on. I'm praying for you. BTW... How is the homeschooling going? ;-)