Thursday, November 01, 2007

Advice Forum Friday - Questions, Questions, Questions!

Hey, guys; how was your week? Mine was BUSY and SICK. Great combination. But it's almost over, and I can't wait until Saturday so I don't have to get up to take girls to school or pick them up, but can just hibernate in my house or run around all day if I want to.

Anyway.

We're back for another scintillating edition of Advice Forum Friday. I just have to thank you guys for answering all of my questions, REALLY. I'm the kind of girl who likes to know what other people are doing and how they're doing it. Not because I have a need to conform; it's more that I just want to know I'm not alone, you know?

So here's my question for you this week. When your kids are asking questions, and trying to learn, do you ever say, "Enough! Time Out!" For example, today Tinkerbell apparently learned about compound words at school. You know, blackboard, whitewash, that kind of thing. So this afternoon at home, she's big into the compound words. Except she really doesn't get it, so she's just trying to make everything a compound word.

"Pencil. Pen. Sell. Is that a compound word?"
"No, honey. It has to be two words that keep their meaning when they're stuck together. Like blackboard. Black. Board."
"Okay. Hmmm...Burger. Bur. Ger. Is that a compound word?"
"No, honey. Ger isn't a word. They have to be real words."
"Oh, I get it. How about dinner? Din. Ner. Compound word.
"No, baby. Ner isn't a word. Breakfast is a compound word, though. Break. Fast."
"Really? Oh. Well how about Daddy? Dad. Dee."

You get the picture. This goes on, on and off, all afternoon. She obviously doesn't get the idea, and I'm trying to cook dinner or pick my nose or whatever, but I'm so over teaching her at this point. But I feel guilty because I don't want to discourage her from trying to learn.

Have you ever felt this way? And if so, how do you handle it? I generally just say, "Okay, that's enough compound words (or whatever) for today. Let's go over it again tomorrow." Problem is, she is so into it that she doesn't want to stop and ends up getting her feelings hurt because I do.

Bring on the wisdom, people.

And if you have a question for our friends out there in the blogiverse, just write about it on your blog, link back to me, and sign the Mr. Linky down below.

And have a great weekend!

5 comments:

Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

Heh. My 8 yo does this to me all the time. He drives me out of my mind with the questions. Because it's not just one question.

Yesterday we were watching a health food show. He fired these off within three minutes.
"Is that woman allergic to chocolate"
Is that other woman allergic?
How did she get allergic?
Why does she eat chocolate?
Why does your throat itch if you eat chocolate?
How come you're not allergic to chocolate? You eat way more chocolate than she does. (AHEM!)
Where does chocolate come from?
Why do you have to add sugar?
Can you light chocolate on fire?
How about the powder?
Why is it a bean?
I like chocolate. Here are the candy bars I like. First Kit kats, then .....
(12 candy bar names later)
What's the name of that one candy?
The chocolate one? The chocolate one I think it has nuts? Why don't you know? I can't remember the name. It has an S on the wrapper. What is it? Why don't you know?

ME: For the love of Pete GO OUTSIDE and play somewhere far away from me!

Can't wait until he can read a little better and I can refer him to the encyclopedia.

And we homeschool so I can never, ever escape.

PJ Academy said...

I have 3 kiddos 9 8 and 8 and a toddler in India (we're adopting)
So yes they get the "Can we please be quiet for just a few minutes" or "go ouside and talk to the rabbits (pets)!

We home school also so some day are just PLAIN LONG =)

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

I think it's fine to tell her enough for now. Can she write? Have her make a list of the words she thinks might be compound words so you can go over them tomorrow. Also, sounds like you might need to go over syllable's and how they work, so she can learn the difference. All the questions from her though? Shows how smart she is, just like her Mommy!

SAHMmy Says said...

Great question! My son is obsessed with asking if every phrase he hears is an idiom (or as he says, "idiot!") I try my best to answer and explain why it is or is not, but sometimes I just have to pick him up and spin him around to get his mind off it. Tutus are good for spinning :)

WendyDarling said...

I agree with working on her syllables. My nephew went through the same thing. We homeschool as well, and sometimes the questions NEVER stop.

It is at that point when I say, "you know, we have had a really full time learning, and my brain is getting overloaded. Let me take an adult time-out, and we will meet back here in 30 minutes and you can ask more questions." (say it with a smile) :-)

I then go to my room and close the door. It doesn't always work, but on the days it does it is HEAVEN! :-)