Thursday, November 29, 2007

Advice Forum Friday - Christmas Pix

Yo, yo, yo! It's Friday, folks, so it must be time for Advice Forum!

This week I've got Christmas Pictures on my mind, and I want some great ideas from y'all. Here's what I've got planned so far: I'm making ivory tutus (I heart tutus!) for the girls, and they'll probably wear a black leotard underneath. I spent around $20 on tulle, and we already have the leotards.

I'd love to take the pictures myself; I figure if I take about 100 shots, I should be able to get 2 or 3 that rock, right? I've got some white and ivory vintage tablecloths, I've got some gold lame, and I'm thinking about doing some kind of backdrop with those. With me so far? And I think we'll also go over to my parents' house and do some in their back yard, cause I just love their landscaping. And finally, if we get the Christmas tree decorated in time, we'll of course take some in front of the tree.

Now here's where you come in. Tell me your favorite kid photo tricks, the best Christmas picture you ever saw, anything that comes to mind. I know there are all kinds of brilliant tips and tricks out there that are just waiting to be introduced to me. So spill it, sister!

And also, I'm still looking for a digital camera, and I would love to know what kind you have, and how good the photos are. Also, what photo software do you use?

Okay, that's it for me this week. Do you have a question or need some advice? You know the drill - write a post, link to me, and sign Mr. Linky.

6 comments:

WendyDarling said...

Hi, Lori :-)

We took our own Christmas pictures last year, and I JUST finished this years photo.

I really like taking my nephew's picture in front of the Christmas tree. I do take around 100 shots, different poses (standing, kneeling, etc.) Sometimes he is holding a wrapped package, sometimes he is putting an ornament on the tree, sometimes he is "reading" a Christmas book, sometimes he is just smiling at the camera.

I then select my favorites and put them in Corel or Poly View, and I "play around" with them.

Our tree is in the schoolroom at that front of the house. I had forgotten to take down the "Bill of Rights" poster, so it was in every single shot. I used a technique in Corel to paint it out, and then I used the text thing to write "Merry Christmas 2007" over that spot. No one will ever know there was a poster there. :-) I just love doing this.

Later today I will send it via internet to Wal Mart and have it printed.

I would love to do some sort of backdrop next year, but this was so easy, and fun. And a lot cheaper than Wal Mart or Olan Mills. :-)

I would be happy to send it to you,privately, if you would like. Just to see how it comes out. :-)

Can't wait to see your pictures!:-)

Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

When we had our pics done, the photographer was awesome and every frame just about turned out.

He would do something funny with a puppet or tell a joke, and then take the picture just AFTER the kids started reacting - when they "got" the joke or just after the puppet did something funny.

I tagged you for the Nice Matters award yesterday, BTW!

Shoeaddict said...

I love pics of kids that are "real". Not too pose-y, ya know?

Candace said...

I use Picasa2 for doctoring my photos. We did ours last year and have started working on this years. I have taken several shots just goofing around and I think they have turned out great. Go to Anna's blog if you wanna see. I have a few on the side for voting but since then I think I might use one from her "photo shoot". We will do some more now that we have our tree up just to see if we can come up with an even better shot. I agree with the shoeaddict I like the real shots too. Although most of Anna's this year are posed or seem to be even though I caught her in the moment with most of them lol. She is just a natural model lol. Your ideas sound great msybe capture them dressed like you want them goofing around.

I use a Kodak Easyshare it is 3 years old. The new ones are better but they are still pretty inexpensive as far as digital cameras go. I think my pictures turn out pretty good again go to Annas page and you can judge for yourself.

Candace said...

I should mention that Picasa2 is off the internet and it is free!

Kirstin said...

Hi Lori,

I have a Nikon D50 digital SLr which I absolutely love. We upgraded last year after our oldest daughter started playing on a larger soccer field and I just couldn't get close enough with a reg. digital. But they are spendy, so if you're looking for something simpler I like the...oh man! I can't remember the name, but I'll find it and come back.

I use photo shop elements to edit all my pics. I love it.

If you go to my blog and under blogs I visit, click on the Live and Learn link, she takes amazing photos and has great tips as well.

Blessings!