Thursday, August 02, 2007

Advice Forum Friday - Edition First

Okay, y'all, it's time for the first ever Advice Forum Friday! I'm just so excited and nervous at the same time! So excited, in fact, that I'm posting it a whole day in advance. Just didn't wanna be late.

Here's how this works: Write a post about a question or problem that you have, be sure to link back to this post, and then list your own post in the Mr. Linky below. Then, visit some of the other blogs listed, and comment away!

Please remember that the purpose of this Forum is helping and uplifting one another. Therefore, when dispensing with the advice and recommendations, please be sweet. If you can't say something nice, PLEASE say nothing!

So, without further ado, here's an issue that I'd like some advice about. You know I love my girls. I'd kick your butt if you hurt them or their feelings.

But I have a talker. A Loud Talker. A Constant Loud Talker. Sometimes you can tell that she has no idea what she's talking about, but she just has this need to hear her own voice. I want to teach her, number one, that she doesn't have to verbalize every thought that pops into her head. And second, I want her to learn restraint. I want her to stop talking when she's told to, and I want her to lower her voice when she's told to.

Now before you get the idea that I'm a mean old mom, let me explain that the main reason I'm bringing this issue to Advice Forum is that I want to be able to deal with it delicately and without hurting my Tink's feelings. Because I feel guilty every time that I ask her to stop talking, but oh my goodness with The Loud Talking!

So, my peeps, bring on the advice. (I've still got "peeps" stuck in my head and I'm trying to use it up!)

Now don't forget to LINK BACK TO THIS POST, list your post below, and visit the other participants. Let's help each other out!


Oh, and if you want to help out with a button, let me know. There was a sweet lady who offered some examples, but I think I may have offended her when I asked for a different font. So, be advised. I might ask you to change something. Hope that's okay.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for hosting AFF, Lori!

I don't have any advice for you unfortunately because we have a talker as well (our DD11)and I'm forever asking her to talk a little quieter or to get to the point when she's telling us something.

I'm hoping that someone can offer some advice to you that I may be able to try also!

Happy Friday!

Jennifer said...

You're so funny. Hey - it's already Friday in some countries, so you're not that early!!! LOL!

I have 0 advice. I have a talker, and that would probably be because I AM a talker. (Surprise, huh? lol) Ruthi just graduated from sentences to paragraphs!

I was always being shushed growing up and getting in trouble for talking (and loudly) in school. Only as an adult did I become aware of how loud I was and finally learned to control it when needed! So at least you can rest in the fact that when she grows up she may at least talk more quietly! [Except when around a bunch of friends or when she's really excited about something - not that I know from experience or anything! :0)]

How's that for advice? Sorry I'm not more help! Hopefully someone will be.

Now I need to go put my thinking cap on and try to come up with a question!!

Anonymous said...

congrats on winning a copy of the book and va product on casual friday everyday!

Shoot me an email so I can ship it all out to ya. :)

Nell
mommysplacenet@yahoo.com

Musings of a Housewife said...

Oh I hope you get some good advice b/c I need it too. I have one of those, and another on the way. :-)

WendyDarling said...

Unfortunately, I think I am going to be like the other commenters. I have an 11 yr. old nephew who is a TALKER. Even if you are talking he will interrupt if he gets a thought in his head, and he will NOT stop, no matter how much you tell him to stop.

He has been taught since the day he uttered his first word NOT to interrupt, and he used to be really good about not doing it, but not lately. :-(

I have tried "The quiet game" for prizes. That has helped with the control SOME, but not much. Maybe it would work with a younger child though.