Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Personal Policies - Sick Kid Edition

I was tagged for this Personal Policies meme by Katherine @ Raising Five, like forever ago, and I have had the roughest time deciding how to proceed. Cause every time I think of a "personal policy," I think, "But is that a personal policy, or just another weird thing about me?"

She wants to know my personal policies - not moral rules, like "Do Not Kill," I'm talking about the silly policies we impose on ourselves, like "Never eat anything you can't identify," or "Don't step on sidewalk cracks."

But I've procrastinated for too long. And since I've got a feverish kid this week, I present you with My Personal Policies - The Sick Kid Edition.

  1. Anything over 99.0 is a fever, I don't care what Big Daddy heard at the Quack in the Box. My digital thermometer says Above Normal, dang it. Above Normal is a Fever, in my book.
  2. I do not give Tylenol for a low fever, unless someone's crying, or something hurts. I say, let the fever do its job. The body heats up to fight infection or other biological bad guys, so how can they do their job if you keep throwing Tylenol on 'em?
  3. Once a fever hits 102.5, I give Tylenol. Even I have my limits.
  4. If you've got a fever, you get to lay in my bed and drink Sprite and watch TV.
  5. I don't call the doctor's office unless someone has either a) had a fever over 102 for more than 2 days, or b) had any fever for more than 3 days. They're just gonna tell me to give Tylenol and call back if the fever doesn't go away. Trust me, I know this from experience.
  6. We try not to go anywhere when one of the darlings has a fever. I figure if the school won't let 'em in, they shouldn't be anywhere else, either.
  7. I feel very strongly about not spreading our {unspecified, yet feverish} illnesses on an unsuspecting public.
  8. When someone is scheduled to visit our house, I advise them of said fever and let them make their own decision. Then their blood is on their own hands, not mine.
  9. We stay away from Grammy and Grandaddy when we have a fever. Cause the old folks, they be getting sick easier, you know.

Looking back over this, I guess I should have named it Personal Policies - Fever Edition.

Anyway.

I'd love to hear about your Personal Policies, sickness or otherwise. Let me know if you decide to write your own post, and please, oh please, give me whatever feedback you may have about my policies.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Let the fever do it's job" Amen sista. God didn't invent fevers so Tylenol and Motrin could get rich off of unsuspecting mommies.
Now, coughs and sinus/congestion crud...I dope those germs up. I do my best to get them dried up.
And yes, keep those fevers from old timers and babies.

Kristen said...

I've been sitting here thinking (while my son is trying to beat that infuriating puzzle in your previous post) if I had any personal policies, and I can't think of any!

SAHMmy Says said...

I'm on board with #5! With my first kiddo, I took him in every time he sneezed, to hear: Yep, he's sick. Have a nice day, your bill will arrive shortly. Baby #2 has yet to be seen by an MD for anything but checkups, even though I'm pretty sure that at one point she contracted the plague.