Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Am I crazy?

Oh my goodness, y'all, we are definitely hitting a milestone here in the Dirty Laundry Household.

My big girl is going to visit her Nana and Grandpa in California. By herself. For three weeks.

Oh. My. Goodness.

Am I crazy? I didn't think I was, but now I'm not so sure!

Big Daddy and I started talking a few weeks ago about letting Pooh fly out to California for a couple of weeks this summer, to visit his Dad and stepMom. You know, just sort of talking about it in vague, generic terms.

Then. Sunday night on the phone, I mentioned it to his stepMom. And she says, "Oh yes, Dad and I have already talked about having her come spend some time with us this summer, and two weeks isn't long enough. And we'll pay for it."

Ho Ly Crap.

So the past few days have been spent trying to decide what to do, how to do it and when to do it. Today I sat down in front of the computer (or maybe I was already there) and started seriously going through all our options. Airline flights are hard to find for an unaccompanied minor. American Airlines charges $150 extra round trip for UAs. But Southwest Airlines doesn't. But oh yeah, I couldn't find any reasonably priced flights with no connections.

Until this afternoon. And lo and behold, there is a one-way flight from Their Town to Our Town for only $107. So we booked it.

So in a couple of weeks, we'll drive her about halfway, and Grandpa will meet us to pick her up. Then when the trip is over, my capable big girl will get on a big old airplane and fly for the first time. By herself.

What was I thinking?

4 comments:

polkadot said...

Just promise you won't spend the entire time worrying about her, get out and have fun! That's a fantastic idea, and time she'll always remember with Gramma & Grampa. You're ok!

Julie said...

I'm sure she will have a blast. I would be a little nervous also, though I would know there is really no reason.

I can't sleep when my kids go over to a friends house for a sleepover. Three weeks might send me to the nut house, though I am sure they would be fine and have a blast.

Jennifer said...

Wow - 3 weeks! I'm sure she'll have the time of her life. My GF's kids fly to see their granparents, and it's only $50 xtra for them to fly ua - but I can't remember which airline she uses.
I think I'd be a little nervous - but it doesn't take much to make me that way. I'm sure you will do much better than I would, and this will be something she remembers forever!

Kristen said...

Cute picture! I bet she's excited. I can understand being a little nervous. I would be too.

Keep your chin up!!